Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pixelmator

I just received an email from the publishers of Pixelmator announcing the software is now released, and I wanted to pass it along. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I have been looking forward to it for a while now. It is a simple image editing tool similar to Photoshop Elements. Elements is a great tool, and edits images very well, but I was excited to see a different approach to an interface. The demo is now available, and from what I can tell, its only limitation is that it automatically shuts down about 5 minutes in. I haven't spent enough time to officially review it, but here are some things I noticed.

- Undo keeps undoing. As you know, in Photoshop Command + z undoes, then redoes. Undoing more than 1 thing requires the use of history.

- It has layer. Sounds basic, but I've used a few of these "simple image editors" before that don't give you that freedom. A must for anyone who has experience with Photoshop.

- Clean interface. Yes it is lacking the power of Photoshop, but man...this thing looks clean.

- Layer effects. Not only does it have layers, but you can apply effects to them. Very nice.

- Has quick masking. Nice little semi-advanced tool for the Photoshop familiar user.

- Key commands are the same as Photoshop (and InDesign, and Illustrator). Nice to not have to apply a new key set when working casually. That has been the biggest failing of Pages on the Mac for my personal use. Its so frustrating to hit a key expecting a tool to pop up and not see it. I still use it and appreciate it, its just annoying.

- Image color/lighting adjustments. Has most of the powerful tools you'd expect when subtly adjusting colors and tones in images. Nice to have.


Overall, a great little tool for the person like me who uses Photoshop at work, but can't afford it for home. The software is $59 right now, and I'm excited to see how it develops with updates and such. Enjoy.

No comments: